At the central level, the PhD Chapter has PhD student representatives (doktorandrepresentanter) in various committees at KTH, as well as in the student parliament.
AU (Anställningsutskottet / The Employment Committee)
The three main tasks of the Employment committee are:
- Promotion matters; including both preparation and decisions on these;
- Teacher recruitment matters; including both preparation and decisions;
- Administering KTH´s quality development effort regarding teacher recruitment, as well as follow-up of this.
BN (Befordringsnämnden / The Promotion Committee)
(Former: CTFN / Centrala tjänsteförslagsnämnden / The Central Appointments Committee)
Responsible for dealing with matters that relate to the promotion of associate professor to professor and the promotion from assistant professor to associate professor.
This committee also includes the appointment of teachers in the School of Engineering of Scientific Communication and Learning.
FA (Forskningsansvariga-gruppen / The directors of doctoral studies group)
Responsible for PhD students’ programs in all schools at KTH.
FR (Fakultetsrådet / The Faculty Council)
The Faculty Council represents the entire faculty and acts as an advisory body to the President. The Council has overall responsibility for issues relating to the quality of education, research and community interaction.
The Faculty Council is made up of the following:
- Seven teachers holding a teaching appointment at KTH and who have scholarly or artistic competence, i.e. a doctorate or equivalent; one of whom is the chairman;
- Three external members who are not employed at KTH;
- Students, who have the right to be represented by three members.
JML-grupp (Jämställdhetskommittén / The Equality Committee)
Currently the PhD Chapter doesn’t have a representative in this committee. Hopefully one PhD student representative will be granted in the future.
KF (Kårfullmäktige / The THS Student Parliament)
This is the decision-making body of THS. The PhD Chapter has 3 regular (ordinarie) + 2 substitute (suppleant) positions.
KTH-S (The KTH-Sustainability Council)
KTH-Sustainability focuses on the integration of environment and sustainable development in education, research and collaboration. Sustainable Campus is responsible for KTH’s environmental management system and environmental issues surrounding the campus.
KTH-Sustainability is a project running up to 2015 focusing on the integration of environment and sustainable development in education, research and collaboration. The project is led by the Vice President for Sustainable Development, Professor Göran Finnveden. The project’s steering group, KTH-Sustainability council, involves faulty representatives appointed by the Faculty Council, student and PhD student representatives appointed by the student union (THS), the environmental manager and KTH-Sustainability’s project leader.
RU (Resursfördelningsutskottet / The Resource Allocation Committee)
This committee is tasked to investigate and monitor the distribution of state funds within KTH. The question of how the distribution system affects the quality of education and research should be given special consideration. Students have the right to be represented by three members. The committee will be a preparatory body to the Faculty Council concerning the distribution issues.
Språkkommittén / The Language Committee
The Language Committee monitors language issues in a broad sense on behalf of KTH students, faculty, and staff. The Committee is tasked to implement parts of KTH’s Language Policy and provides advice in linguistic matters of a general nature.
Stipendierådet / The Central Grants Committee
The Central Grants Committee – under University Administration (Universitetsförvaltningen) – consists of a maximum of 16 members, with a broad representation of interests (no substitutes), ten members appointed at the different schools, one member from University Administration, three students including one student who is appointed by the THS, foundation responsible for the KTH-affiliated foundations and a chairman, which is appointed by the President.
US (Universitetsstyrelsen / The University Board)
The University Board is the top executive unit, governing KTH´s activities in most respects. Decisions are taken in strict accordance with the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance in matters of the following nature:
- Important matters concerning internal organization;
- Annual Report, budget issues, other reports and statements of major importance;
- Measures taken on account of facts and reports presented to the Board by the National Audit Bureau;
- Rules and regulations of major importance;
- Other matters of a principal nature.
UU (Utbildningsutskottet / The Education Committee)
The three main tasks of the Education Committee are:
Overall dimension of education on undergraduate and postgraduate level
- Administering KTH´s quality development effort and follow-up on undergraduate and postgraduate education;
- Administering KTH´s general development of rules and guidelines concerning education.